A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against a Lexington, North Carolina, restaurant after a man passed away after eating there.
According to the lawsuit, the 94-year-old man died from acute renal failure as a result of Salmonella poisoning.
The man ate at Tarheel Q on June 16, becoming ill in the following days. He was then admitted to Davis Regional Medical Center for treatment.
He is not the first person to have complained about getting sick after eating at the restaurant. Nearly 300 people from five states have reported an illness they believe to be in relation to the food. However, at this point, there has only been one confirmed death.
In addition to this wrongful death lawsuit, six others have also filed a legal claim against the restaurant.
Health officials are not yet sure how Salmonella made its way into the food, however, inspection reports show 32 critical violations over the past six years.
As a result of these claims, health officials noted that the restaurant has been cleaned thoroughly and all workers re-educated on the finer details of food safety.
Despite the death of this man, among many other illnesses, the restaurant in Davidson County remains open to the public.
When a person eats at a restaurant, he or she expects that the food is of high quality and that they will not become sick as a result. This has not been the case at this North Carolina restaurant.
If a person becomes sick or dies due to the negligence of an establishment, such as a restaurant, it can result in a lawsuit.
Source: Fox 8, "Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Tarheel Q," July 10, 2015